Applying to the PA Fellowship in EM
Interested in Our Program? Apply here
Thank you for your interest in the Department of Emergency Medicine at SIUH.
Program Description and Purpose
The core curriculum is patterned after the SIUH Emergency Medicine Physician Residency Program and follows the 2007 Model of the Clinical Practice of Emergency Medicine. The Emergency Medicine Physician Assistant Fellowship at SIUH will enhance the medical knowledge and clinical skills of PAs in the field of Emergency Medicine through various focused educational activities. EM PA fellows will receive 5 hours of didactic conferences each week, specialty procedure labs, emergency ultrasound training, emergency medicine research opportunities as well as ACLS, ATLS, and PALS certification.
The SIUH Emergency Department is committed to EM education. We have been training PAs as a major learning site for Wagner College's PA Program for more than 10 years. Our Core Physician Faculty is acutely aware of the skills required for a successful PA career in EM. The EM PA fellowship will mirror our nationally accredited EM Physician Residency Program. Participating PA fellows will join our EM physician residents and will receive not only the highest educational standards but will receive the communication and team work skills to be motivated and knowledgeable EM PAs.
University and Institutional Affiliations
Founded in 1861, SIUH today is a member of the North Shore-LIJ Health System and enjoys numerous academic and clinical affiliations and accreditations. The SIUH Emergency Department is committed to providing the Staten Island community with fast and quality emergency care. SIUH has two 911-receiving Emergency departments staffed by healthcare workers specifically trained in emergency care. The North site is a designated Adult and Pediatric Level I Trauma Center, Stroke Center Designation, Cardiac Catheterization Center and Regional Burn Center. The South site offers the feel of a "suburban" ED.
The Emergency Medicine PA Fellowship is a 24-month postgraduate certificate program. Eligible applicants must have:
- Graduated from a PA Program approved by the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) prior to matriculation into the program
- A Baccalaureate degree or higher
- National Certification by the NCCPA (new graduates may receive acceptance into the program, pending successful completion of the PANCE)
- Official transcripts from Colleges/Universities and the PA Program
- Current Curriculum Vitae
- New York State Licensure or eligibility
- Three professional letters of recommendation (for new graduates, one of these letters must be from your PA Program Director, mailed directly to the Admissions Committee in a sealed envelope)
- Official copy of NCCPA scores (if certified) – sent directly from NCCPA
- Personal essay
- Personal interview
A Certificate of Completion will be awarded from SIUH Department of Emergency Medicine.
- Post graduate training salary $81,000 for every 12 months (A total of $162,000 for the 24-month program)
- Employee benefits include long & short-term disability plan
- Life Insurance
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Uniforms/access to online medical literature via Access Medicine
- 4 weeks paid vacation / CME funds
The program begins in September of each year; applications are accepted in the preceding April.
For more info contact:
Alex Lambros, Co-director PA Emergency Medicine fellowship